Phone: 61-(0)2-9850 4718
Inversion of Multiple Geophysical Data for Composition and Thermal Structure of the Earth's Upper Mantle
Dr Juan Carlos Afonso and Dr Yingjie Yang
My current research involves simultaneous,internally consistent inversion of multiple geophysical data (seismic surface wave dispersion curves,receiver functions, SHF, geoid anomalies, absolute elevations, etc.) using a probabilistic framework for mapping 3-D thermal and composition structure of the Earth's crust and upper most mantle.
- Forward and inverse modelling of geophysical data for studying the Earth’s structure
- Seismic tomography in local and global scales
- Receiver function analysis
- Analysing of geophysical data for exploration purposes
- Numerical modelling of elastic wave propagation
I received my Bachelor of Science degree in physics and Master of Science degree in geophysics in 2004 and 2007 respectively. After obtaining my Master's degree, and before joining Macquarie University, I worked for 5 years as a geophysicist in private sector.