Phone : 61-(0)2-9850 9676
Qing Xiong in front of the Yarlung Zangbo river, field work in southern Tibet (China)
Shenglikou and Zedang peridotite massifs, Tibet (China): Upper mantle processes and geodynamic significance
Chromitite – dunite in the Zedang peridotite massif, southern Tibet.
Peridotite massifs in collision zones provide km-scale targets to study the composition, architecture and evolution of Earth’s mantle. The Shenglikou garnet peridotite massif from the North Qaidam orogen (northern Tibet) and the Zedang peridotite massif from the Indus-Yarlung Zangbo suture (southern Tibet), are investigated using petrological, chronological and geochemical methods. The aims of my PhD project are to: (1) understand the origins of different rock types in the mantle section; (2) reveal upper mantle processes (e.g., partial melting, melt segregation, fluid/melt-peridotite reaction) and metamorphism and deformation during exhumation; and (3) provide more detailed knowledge of pre-Cenozoic history of the Tethyan ocean between India and Eurasia.
Profs. Suzanne Y. O’Reilly, William L. Griffin, Jianping Zheng, Assoc. Prof. Norman J. Pearson
(1) Melt/fluid – rock interaction in the upper mantle region of continental margins
(2) Upper mantle processes recorded in oceanic lithospheric sections of lower crust – upper mantle
(3) Igneous and tectonic links between lithospheric mantle and overlying crust
(1) Xiong, Q., Zheng, J.P., Yu, C.M., Su, Y.P., Tang, H.Y., Zhang, Z.H., 2009. Zircon U-Pb age and Hf isotope of Quanyishang A-type granite in Yichang: Signification for the Yangtze continental cratonization in Paleoproterozoic. Chinese Science Bulletin 54, 436-446.
(2) Xiong, Q., Zheng, J.P., Griffin, W.L., O’Reilly, S.Y., Zhao, J.H., 2011. Zircons in the Shenglikou ultrahigh-pressure garnet peridotite massif and its country rocks from the North Qaidam terrane (western China): Meso-Neoproterozoic crust-mantle coupling and early Paleozoic convergent plate-margin processes. Precambrian Research 187, 33-57.
(3) Xiong, Q., Zheng, J.P., Griffin, W.L., O’Reilly, S.Y., Pearson, N.J., 2012. Decoupling of U-Pb and Lu-Hf isotopes and trace elements in zircon from the UHP North Qaidam orogen, NE Tibet (China): Tracing the deep subduction of continental blocks. Lithos 155, 125-145.
(4) Xiong, Q., Zheng, J.P., O’Reilly, S.Y., Griffin, W.L., 2012. Protoliths and ~440-Ma ultrahigh-pressure metamorphism of eclogite and gneiss in the North Qaidam orogen, NE Tibet: Implications for deep subduction of the Qaidam basin. Abstract for 34 International Geological Conference.
(5) Xiong, Q., O’Reilly, S.Y., Griffin, W.L., Pearson, N.J., Zheng, J.P., 2013. Multistage refertilization of an Archean peridotite massif, N. Qaidam orogeny (NE Tibet, China). Abstract for 2013 Goldschmidt Conference.
(1) Bachelor of Geology, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), 2008
(2) PhD candidate, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), 2008 – 2011
(3) Cotutelle PhD candidate, between Macquarie University and China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), 2011 – present